Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ampersand Pastelbord vs. Rtistx 280 Panel

Autumn Lace
12"x16"
My latest piece shown above is very similar in concept to Botanical Lace, which I blogged about earlier. However, Autumn Lace was done on Ampersand Pastelbord, whereas Botanical Lace was done on Rtistx 280 panel. Because the pieces are so similar, it is easy for me to compare the supports. For both pieces, I created the background leaves by first applying “blobs” of color using Caran D’Ache Neocolor II watersoluble pastel crayons. I then went over the background with colored pencil, “finding” leaves in the abstract shapes of color. I find that I work more intuitively when I start with basic shapes and create detail as the work progresses. (That being said, I sometimes like to create pieces where control and precision is evident from the beginning, and I will be starting such a piece next). Both the Pastelbord and Rtistx 280 panel seemed to accept the watersoluble pastels very easily. The biggest difference I found was in applying the colored pencil.

Though I like Pastelbord for its durability and gritty surface, rendering smooth surfaces can be difficult as the surface is not as uniform and finely textured as the Rtistx 280 panel. The leaves ended up looking much smoother in Botanical Lace, and I found myself fighting the texture in Autumn Lace. Some of my pieces seem more suited to Pastelbord, such as Adorned with Pride, where I allowed the texture of the board to show for the background, and I also used to my advantage in creating the texture of the skin and clothing. But for creating softer looking portraits such as of children, I prefer the Rtistx 280 panel.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Holly another great detailed and dramatical piece: variation on a good theme. Are you sleeping at all :)

hbedrosian said...

Thank you, Sheona! Yes, I am sleeping. :) This piece was smaller, 12"x16", and went pretty quickly because I used Neocolors. It might be a while until my next piece is done, because I'm working on a non-sanded support that requires a lot more layering and effort to achieve coverage.

Rhonda Bartoe Tucker said...

Both of these Lace pieces are fantastic. So nice when someone uses a reference photo for just that. Great stuff. Thanks, too, for the comparison of the two surfaces. I have yet to use the Rtistx panel, but plan on getting one now.

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

Beautiful!
Both pieces are so nice!

hbedrosian said...

Thank you Rhonda and Kasie.

Right now I'm starting something on Rtistx 420 designed for watercolor, and I find it is well suited to Neocolor watersoluble pastels, but colored pencils are more of a struggle.